Wednesday 8 August 2012

Guest Blog -Sinéad Moriarty


My eighth book, This Child of Mine hits the bookshops tomorrow. You would think that by book eight, I would be calm, serene and taking all this publishing 'lark' in my stride. Instead I find myself even more nervous and apprehensive than ever. That is the thing that has surprised me most about being a writer. Instead of growing in confidence, you actually second guess yourself more, doubt yourself more and dread each publication date more. Why? In most jobs you grow in confidence with experience...but writers don't. 
All the writers I have met and spoken to feel the same way. I think that is what drives us. Complacency would kill our creativity. I believe that this doubt and fear is what urges us on, forces us to push ourselves into unknown territories, to take on subject matters and characters that we are almost afraid of and daunted by. We want each book to be better, we want to make our readers happy and satisfied with the time they spend reading our words. And so....as usual I have the strong urge to jump on a plane to an unknown destination to hide until my book comes out and the reviews are over. But instead I stay, bite my nails, sweat it out and try to remember why on earth I thought that writing for a living was a good idea!

Sinéad Moriarty 2012 

Thanks to Sinéad Moriarty for doing a blog post for us. Sinéad is one of the several  fab authors that are taking part in A PASSION FOR BOOKS: An Evening for Readers and Writers. Come along if you want to take part in a very special evening hosted by some of Ireland and the UK's favourite writers. 
Venue: Kingston Hotel, 
Date: Thursday September 6th @ 8-10pm, Price: €10/€8 Concession
Tickets on sale now.

No comments:

Post a Comment